Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company in the UK and Ireland. We are already on target to achieve our huge ambition to double the size of our business globally whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are growing our business and also doing what is right for our consumers, community and environment. We are developing brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow – making sustainable living commonplace.
Working at Unilever means that you get to take part in this exciting journey and work with amazing people who are really passionate about our large portfolio of famous brands. We want to improve billions of lives and you too can join us in making a sustainable difference.
Our Safety & Environmental Assurance Centre (SEAC) (www.unilever.com/about/innovation/safety-and-environment/) plays a vital role in building and sustaining confidence from consumers and communities around the globe in our brands and products. Unilever’s purpose is to make sustainable living commonplace around the world; SEAC’s world-class reputation for sustainability science www.SS21C.org will play a key role in supporting Unilever to achieve this challenge, by working with product developers, suppliers and retailers to reduce the environmental impacts of our products.
As an Environmental Sustainability Scientist, your primary responsibility will be to provide sustainability expertise and life cycle thinking in support of product innovation, supply chain management and brand development. In this regard, your responsibilities will include:
- Conduct sustainability assessment on Unilever products, technologies and portfolios to support new product launches and company sustainability goals.
- Help shape Unilever’s innovation, supply chain, marketing and Corporate sustainability strategies and ambitions through leveraging of sustainability expertise.
- Engage and interact with colleagues within SEAC and other Unilever functions, offering sustainability insights to business projects.
- Represent Unilever in relevant external activities on sustainability assessment of products and technologies.
In addition, the opportunity to engage in sustainability research projects conducted within SEAC and / or in collaboration with external research organizations exists. This would involve:
- Lead/contribute to science research projects with academic and other research organizations.
- Presenting findings of research / case studies within Unilever and externally e.g. at international conferences.
- PhD or Masters in relevant subject
- Ability to apply Environmental Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) to evaluate products and services.
- Ability to generate, evaluate and interpret data used in assessments of environmental impact.
- Good networking, influencing and communication skills including publications.
- Ability to communicate complex scientific information and rationales on environmental sustainability to individuals from other disciplines or from non-technical backgrounds.
- Ability to work in cross-disciplinary teams and in multi-cultural environments.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Relevant business experience.
- Modelling of chemical manufacturing and packaging and product processes and related activities e.g. waste management.
- Understanding and experience of employing approaches to assess variability and uncertainty in impact assessments.
- Understanding and experience in developing Life Cycle Impact Assessment LCIA methodologies.
- Broader sustainability expertise in any of the following areas: agriculture, biodiversity and ecosystems services, water quality and availability, circular economy, industrial ecology.
Please note: As part of the job application, you will be asked to complete a brief online application form. Completion of the form is required in order to be considered. Please allow yourself enough time to complete the application form as when filled out partially or not at all it may adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the form at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Then go to: Careers, Experienced professional link, go to vacancies in the UK, scroll down list of roles to highlight environmental sustainability role – you may need to put in something like “sustainability” into the search bar to find the role
To apply for this job please visit unilever.taleo.net.