Unilever is a global Fast-Moving Consumer Goods company in the UK and Ireland. We are already on target to achieve our huge ambition to double the size of our business globally whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are growing our business and also doing what is right for our consumers, community and environment. We are developing brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow – making sustainable living commonplace.
Working at Unilever means that you get to take part in this exciting journey and work with amazing people who are really passionate about our large portfolio of famous brands. We want to improve billions of lives and you too can join us in making a sustainable difference.
Our Safety & Environmental Assurance Centre (SEAC) (www.unilever.com/about/innovation/safety-and-environment/) plays a vital role in building and sustaining confidence from consumers and communities around the globe in our brands and products. Unilever’s purpose is to make sustainable living commonplace around the world; SEAC’s world-class reputation for sustainability science www.SS21C.org will play a key role in supporting Unilever to achieve this challenge, by working with product developers, suppliers and retailers to reduce the environmental impacts of our products.
As an Environmental Sustainability Scientist, you will be involved in conducting research on environmental sustainability, including the evaluation and development of new scientific approaches, methods and models for assessing Unilever’s product portfolio in the areas of Foods, Home Care, and Beauty and Personal Care. In this capacity, your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and manage research projects to improve SEAC’s environmental sustainability scientific capability.
- Establish and maintain collaborations and partnerships with relevant key academic, governmental and industrial groups.
- Present SEAC research in international conferences and engage with Key Opinion Formers to further enhance Unilever’s reputation.
- Represent Unilever in relevant external activities on sustainability assessment of products and technologies.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to provide sustainability expertise and life cycle thinking in support of product innovation, supply chain management and brand development. In this regard, your responsibilities will include:
- Provide sustainability expertise to identify opportunities to manage environmental impacts of Unilever products, technologies and portfolios.
- Influence Unilever’s innovation, supply chain, marketing and Corporate sustainability strategies and ambitions.
- Engage and interact with colleagues within SEAC and other Unilever functions, offering sustainability insights to business projects.
- PhD in relevant subject and several years of industrial / post doc experience
- OR Masters and with several years of relevant experience.
- Ability to apply Environmental Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) to evaluate products and services.
- Ability to generate, evaluate and interpret data used in assessments of environmental impact.
- Understanding and experience in developing Life Cycle Impact Assessment LCIA methodologies and / or other relevant environmental impact assessment approaches, methods or models.
- Good networking, influencing and communication skills including publications.
- Ability to communicate complex scientific information and rationales on environmental sustainability to individuals from other disciplines or from non- technical backgrounds.
- Ability to work in cross-disciplinary teams and in multi-cultural environments.
- Understanding and experience of employing approaches to assess variability and uncertainty in impact assessments.
- Understanding and experience of employing methods and tools for handling spatially resolved data and impact assessment e.g. GIS, InVEST, AWaRe.
- Understanding and experience of using Input/Output (I/O) analysis and related methods.
- Predictive modelling ideally with a focus on sustainable consumption and land system changes. E.g. understanding and experience of using Land Change models (LCM).
- Broader sustainability expertise in any of the following areas: agriculture, biodiversity and ecosystems services, water quality and availability, circular economy, industrial ecology.
Please note: As part of the job application, you will be asked to complete a brief online application form. Completion of the form is required in order to be considered. Please allow yourself enough time to complete the application form as when filled out partially or not at all it may adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the form at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Then go to: Careers, Experienced professional link, go to vacancies in the UK, scroll down list of roles to highlight environmental sustainability role – you may need to put in something like “sustainability” into the search bar to find the role
To apply for this job please visit unilever.taleo.net.