Website Joint Research Centre - European Commission
As the science and knowledge service of the Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle.
The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available at: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/
The vacancy is within the Bio-Economy Unit, (located in Ispra, Italy), which provides scientific support to EU policies related to the bio-economy such as the sustainable production as well as the use of biological resources and the conversion to value added products, such as food, feed, bioenergy and bio-based products.
We are looking for a researcher to contribute to the further development and implementation of life cycle based indicators of environmental impact of consumption.
The candidate should have a committed, well-organized and dynamic personality, open to explore new fields and actively interact with different disciplines. He/she will carry out technical work focused on the development of life cycle assessment indicators, including those based on Input/output tables.
The envisaged work will consist of:
- Assessment of statistical data on the environmental impact due to consumption.
- Running LCA’s of representative product reflecting the environmental impact of trading (import and export) EU level.
- Support the Bio-economy team by liaising with different related research teams inside and outside the Commission, organizing meetings, supporting policy analysis.
- Produce scientific publications. Qualifications:
The ideal candidate should have a PhD in environmental science, environmental engineering, or related field with emphasis on life cycle modelling, energy and resource efficiency, life cycle assessment (or a University degree and 5 years of experience after the university degree).
Excellent writing and presentation skills, with good knowledge of spoken and written English (B2) are required. Relevant publications and presentations are seen as essential and should be highlighted.
Assets will be considered experience in the management of projects, experience in working with product statistics, excellent analytical and computer skills, modelling experience and hands on experience with LCA software.
The candidate must be on a valid EPSO reserve list for Function Group IV contract staff.
Applicants to the following Calls for expression of interest can also be considered:
1. CAST Permanent – EPSO has launched in January 2017 an open-ended selection procedure to create a pool of candidates from which the institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union (EU) can recruit contract agents. Details available at the link below: https://epso.europa.eu/documents/2240_en
2. Call COM/1/2015/GFIV – Research – The JRC has launched in January 2015 a permanent call for researchers FG IV. Details available at the link below: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/working-with- us/jobs/vacancies/function-group-IV-researchers
Auxiliary contract staff:
Please note that due to the high number of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.