Website Ghent University
VACANCY for 2 Post doctoral positions
Department: Green Chemistry and Technology
We welcome candidates for a full time appointment as postdoctoral researcher at the research group Sustainable Systems Engineering (STEN), coordinated by Prof. J. Dewulf, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering at Ghent University (Belgium). Two postdoctoral researchers will be appointed within the framework of at least two European- or nationally-funded research projects, related to more than one of the following topics:
- Environmental sustainability assessment and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA);
- Sustainable management and use of the marine environment and its ecosystem services;
- Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (LCSA) and aggregation techniques;
- Sustainable natural resource management and (biobased) Circular Economy;
- Carbon capture & use (CCU) emerging/innovation technologies and systems;
- Food packaging emerging/innovation technologies and systems;
- Automotive industry emerging/innovation technologies and systems.
Your role will exist out of (1) scientific elaboration in at least two research projects (related to the topics aforementioned and based on your personal interest/expertise), and (2) organisational/managerial support (depending on the chosen projects) in a team setting with postdoctoral researchers and PhD students.
Given the multidisciplinary character of the research, collaboration and exchange within the STEN group and with other partners in the projects will be key. The scientific findings should lead to publications in international peer reviewed journals.
The start date is planned as near the end of 2020 (November/December). The duration is at least 1 year, but prolongation is possible after a positive evaluation.
Profile of the candidate
Candidates should have background and/or affinity with sustainable systems engineering and should be familiar with the sustainability assessment toolbox, including life cycle analysis. We are looking for candidates with a critical and analytical attitude and eager to take initiative.
- You hold a PhD in environmental engineering, bioscience engineering, or similar;
- You have interest in scientific research in the area of sustainable systems engineering;
- You have good writing and presentation skills;
- You master the English language, written and orally, in an academic context;
- You have practical experience with LCA softwares (e.g., Simapro, OpenLCA) and LCA databases (e.g., ecoinvent);
- You can operate both independently and in a multidisciplinary team;
- You have organisational/managerial skills and are highly motivated;
- Having experience with quantitative and/or qualitative research is essential;
- Professional experience or educational background in Chemical Engineering is of added-value.
How to apply
Send an email to Prof. Dr. Ir. Jo Dewulf ([email protected]) before August 30th, 2020, with subject ‘application for POST DOC STEN’ and include:
- CV, study results in a file with name ‘CV surname’
- Motivation letter in a file with name ‘Motivation letter surname’
- Contact details (name, phone email) of at least one reference person
Selection will be based on competences, independent from gender, religion, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
To apply for this job email your details to Jo.Dewulf@ugent.be