About the Role:
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that’s cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and commercially-focused life cycle assessment (LCA) specialist to join our rapidly growing team in the UK. The successful candidate will be driven by the opportunity to work in a top-tier consultancy that is working to go beyond the status quo and helping clients address some of the biggest challenges in sustainability.
You’ll have the chance to work on some of the most exciting projects in the UK and around the world. Our global reach (48,000 staff including 5,000 in Environmental disciplines) provides a unique competitive advantage as well as an exciting, modern place to work.
This role sits within the wider Environmental, Health & Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) team which specialises in:
- Developing environmental and sustainability strategies
- Advising on corporate EHS and CR programmes
- Supporting international environmental and social governance
- Advising on product stewardship
- Quantifying and reducing GHG emissions
- Managing climate risks, adaptation and resilience
- Developing Environmental Management Systems
- Leading (and contributing to) specialist chapters for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Preparing environmental and safety permitting.
A typical week would include:
- The delivery of technical LCA work across a range of sectors with a focus on products and infrastructure projects.
- Project management of LCA projects and co-ordination of junior staff.
- LCA modelling using recognised LCA software (such as GaBi or SimaPro) or bespoke models in Microsoft Excel.
- LCA peer review experience for LCA/EPD verification work or LCA Critical Review Panels.
- Training junior staff to support with LCA modelling.
- Supporting in business development and identification of new leads for our LCA service.
- Representing WSP at industry events, and contributing to technical thought-leadership to help position us in the marketplace for LCA, with support from wider team
- Assisting, and leading where appropriate, preparation of material for proposals, capability statements and strategic documents.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Significant experience in a professional business environment, for instance in consultancy, as part of an in-house team or other relevant organisation working in this field.
- A relevant technical degree (Ideally a Masters in Engineering, Product or Industrial Design, Maths/Physics etc) with strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- A strong understanding of the relevant LCA methodologies and standards (e.g. ISO 14040/44, ISO 14020/25, EN15804 etc) needed to develop an LCA, EPD, Carbon Footprint, PCR or Comparative LCA Study.
- The ability to use either GaBi or SimaPro LCA software.
- The ability to conduct numerical analyses in Excel
- Experience working with LCA databases such as ecoinvent databases
- Experience collaborating with a recognised EPD programme operator such as Environdec or IBU.
- Strong written/presentation skills to enable the clear and concise communication of results and recommendations to senior client leads.
- Desirable: Approved as an Individual EPD Verifier through a recognised EPD programme operator.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy – we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world’s leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.
To apply for this job please visit www.wsp-pb.com.