Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
The successful candidate will join the “Environmental Research and Innovation” (ERIN) department. With a team of more than 170 scientists and engineers from life science, environmental science, and IT science, the department has the necessary interdisciplinary knowledge and skills to tackle major environmental challenges our society is facing today: climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, environmental pollution prevention and control.
The “Environmental Research and Innovation” (ERIN) department of LIST has an opening for an Intern position. The intern will be integrated in the Life Cycle Sustainability and Risk Assessment (LiSRA) Unit, which develops knowledge, transferable (software) technologies and practical methods for the integrative evaluation and management of the sustainability and toxicological risks of human driven systems.
The Life Cycle Sustainability and Risk Assessment (LiSRA) unit of the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) is developing software tools for Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for companies and policy makers. The increasing digitalization of manufacturing and consumption practices, along with the introduction of new technologies (Internet of Things, Blockchain, Industrie 4.0) is likely to disrupt the way such software tools may operate in the future, e.g. regarding the collection of inventory data or the definition of scenarios based on real time feedback from users. One of the promises of Industrie 4.0 for example is that, by using IoT manufacturing modules, live data could be used to improve production chains management. Within this context, taking into account life cycle assessment when managing production chains poses the challenge of fast modelling of the dynamic production chain (quick programmatic creation of life cycle assessment inventories), retrieval (in real time) of information from the production chain to update the life cycle inventories and assessment based on the new data. Future IoT enabled homes pose similar challenges.
The aim of the internship project is to collaborate in prospective research and development activities towards the integration of current life cycle assessment tools with IoT issued data. In particular, the following specific tasks will be done by the trainee:
- Identification of suitable IoT platforms (concrete or simulated) to implement IoT based life cycle inventory creations for industrie 4.0 like production chains or automated homes, through literature review
- Prototyping IoT based tool to create life cycle inventories, through programming
- Design of a life cycle inventory update mechanism based on information coming from the production chain
- Motivated and creative intern who enjoys embracing challenges and working with a team of international researchers
The intern should possess the skills outlined below:
- Masters or Bachelor in Computer Science or Informatics
- Concrete skills in Python (basic to intermediate are sufficient)
- Knowledge of at least another programming language besides Python (Java, Julia, Scala for example)
- Knowledge of version control systems such as git (please let us know if you have a github/bitbucket or similar account)
- Good understanding of networks (tcp/ip protocols)
- Good understanding of the principles of REST APIs and microservices
- Good understanding of statistics
- Fluent English (spoken and written) is mandatory
- Fluent or a strong working knowledge of French is a must
To apply for this job please visit www.list.lu.