Website Fraunhofer Institute For Environmental, Safety And Energy Technology
The Fraunhofer Institute for Environmental, Safety and Energy Technology UMSICHT in Oberhausen conducts applied research on behalf of government and industry and is committed to the development of innovative technologies, transferring them into marketable products and methods.
We offer challenging opportunities involving responsibility and wide creative freedom as well as manifold qualification possibilities within the framework of our human resources development. We put work-life-balance into practice.
“LimnoPlast – Microplastics in Europe’s freshwater ecosystems: From sources to solutions” is funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Innovative Training Network) and offers 15 fully funded PhD positions (for early-stage researcher (ESR)) with an attractive stipend, complementary training activities and generous travel, laboratory and research budgets. ESR will get full-time employment contract for 36 months (including social security coverage) additional family allowance (if married or dependent children) access to an extensive research network connections to potential employers in Europe. More vacancies you find on https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/457414.
The goal of the doctorate is to evaluate the socio-ecological effects of microplastics (MP) taking into account the entire life cycle of plastic products.
- Review of European policies addressing MP
- Data gathering and analysis of sources, sinks, and flows of MP relating to different sectors and activities in the economy, estimating volumes, impacts, and costs
- Mapping of measures to address MP in Europe’s freshwater, including identifying points of intervention to address MP
- Stakeholder mapping and actions to build civil society and private sector support for measures to address MP
- Prioritization of action and policy recommendations
What we expect from you
- Have a MSc or equivalent
- Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers
- Be flexible to move around within the project duration
- Be fluent in English, basic knowledge in German is appreciated
- Provide outstanding marks (preferably under the best 10 % of the graduation year)
- Be experienced and interested in interdisciplinary research
- Have not resided in the country of the host institution for more than 12 months in the last 3 years (except refugees)
What you can expect from us
- A friendly and creative working environment
- Compatibility of work and private life (co-child office, flexitime, child holiday care, elder care)
- Individual development and career opportunities
- A wide range of opportunities for further qualification
- An innovative research environment with industry proximity
- Room for manoeuvre in research
- Workplace health promotion
- Accompaniment of the dissertation by the in-house Research School
- Very good IT infrastructure
- Comprehensive range of specialist literature thanks to own library
- Employee discounts/ corporate benefits
- Access to eduroam
Terms of contract according to European Commission’s Marie Curie fellowship scheme. In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates. We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender. The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
Are you interested? Applicants should send a full application consisting of:
- A motivation letter addressing his/her research interests in relationship to the individual research project
- Curriculum Vitae (Europass format recommended, please specify your residence/work places in the last 3 years)
- University transcripts (grades) and other relevant certificates
We look forward to receiving your meaningful application stating the reference number: UMSICHT-2019-118. Please use the online form to submit your application.
If you have any technical questions regarding this position, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Dr. Daniel Maga
Phone: +49 208 8598-1191
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.fraunhofer.de.