We have an exciting opportunity for a Sustainability and Carbon Advisor to form part of the wider Environment and Sustainability team and support the delivery of the construction and handover phase of the HS2 Main Works Contract.
Responsible for tasks to ensure contract-wide carbon reporting, BREEAM/CEEQUAL compliance and supporting the implementation of sustainability opportunities during the delivery of the detailed design, construction and handover phase.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Quantification and reporting of whole life cycle carbon emissions. Interrogate this data to identify and highlight areas for further consideration, evaluation and improvement. and inform carbon reduction strategies
- BREEAM/CEEQUAL evidence collection & score tracking throughout construction, to ensure relevant credits are achieved for an Excellent rating.
- Monitor and report carbon and BREEAM/CEEQUAL performance against targets to drive continuous improvement.
- Support the carbon reduction efforts across the project team in line with the Carbon Management Plan and PAS 2080 to deliver against HS2’s carbon minimisation policy.
- Support the wider sustainability agenda, providing advice to the project team to aid the development of the design and construction in line with, resource efficiency principles and further relevant environmental sustainability aspects like circular economy, etc. Champion best practice and innovation throughout all project stages, from design to procurement and construction.
- Understand the Client’s BREEAM/CEEQUAL, Carbon and Sustainability policies, requirements and standards and feed accordingly into respective SCS processes to ensure these requirements are appropriately fulfilled on the project.
- Collaborate with various teams within the project and provide input as necessary to deliver an integrated sustainable project – this may include the cost estimating, project controls, BIM, logistics, procurement and construction teams.
- Liaise and collaborate with BREEAM/CEEQUAL & carbon specialists and managers within the design team, enabling works contracts, other main work civils contractors and the client to facilitate sustainable solutions.
Required Qualifications, Skills, Behaviours and Attributes:
- Demonstrable experience in undertaking assessments of the carbon and energy impacts of construction projects
- Practical understanding of life cycle assessment (LCA), its methodology and application in the built environment, in line with relevant standards (EN15978, EN15804, ISO14044, etc.), use of carbon footprinting tools, use of Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) in the construction context, etc.
- Knowledge of sustainability assessment tools such as BREEAM or CEEQUAL
- Familiarity with climate change and wider sustainability topics: resource efficiency, circular economy, design for durability, deconstruction and re-use, renewable energy & alternative fuels, sustainable solutions etc. in the context of construction
- Experience working effectively within a multidisciplinary team, taking a collaborative approach
- Data handling & reporting experience. IT competent with excellent skills in Microsoft Excel as well as Word & Powerpoint
- Good presentation and report writing skills
- Excellent organisation, task coordination and time management skills
- Keen interest in the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and an ability and desire to positively influence and develop those around them
Desirable Qualifications, Skills, Behaviours and Attributes:
- Prior experience in carbon management in infrastructure or similar construction projects in line with the principles of PAS2080
- Prior experience in undertaking BREEAM Infrastructure and/or CEEQUAL assessments
- Use of PowerBI, SQL, data management platforms etc. would be advantageous
- Project management and commercial awareness skills
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.skanska.com.